• 2 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 3 Users in Discussion
Top Liked Authors
Highlighted
New Contributor

A Resolution That Could Save Your Life

large.png

Christmas and the festive season are unfortunately long behind us. Most of us are back to the grindstone, back to work and we’re already falling behind on our New year’s resolutions. Plans to exercise regularly, eat healthily, work harder and just DO more in 2018 have likely already fallen by the wayside. But I’ve got a simple New Year’s resolution that’s easy to keep and which could save your life. You guessed it, I’m talking about checking your boobs.

This is honestly one of the simplest New year’s resolutions to make and keep. Set a time every month to get friendly with your ladylumps and stick to it. Checking your boobs isn’t about looking for cancer, it’s about knowing what’s normal for you so you can identify if something is unusual and take action. Most people think breast cancer just presents with a lump but there are a few things you should be aware of when you’re checking your breasts. Here’s the key signs and symptoms:

• Lumps or thickening in your breast tissue
  • Changes in skin texture, such as dimpling or puckering
  • Swelling around your armpit or collarbone
  • Any constant or unusual pain in your breast and armpit
  • Nipple crusting or an inversion or change of direction in your nipple
  • A sudden or unusual change in shape or size
  • A rash or crusting around the nipple area

There’s no right or wrong way to check your boobs, but when you’re doing it be sure to have a good feel of all of your breast tissue, which goes right up to the collarbone and right into your armpit.

Remember, most breast lumps aren’t anything to worry about, but any time you find something unusual, you should go to your GP to chat about it. They want to hear from you if you notice something that doesn’t seem right to you - because you know your boobs better than anyone else.

Why do we advocate checking your boobs once a month? Because we want to live in a world where late detection of breast cancer doesn’t exist. Early detection saves lives - the earlier you find a lump that is cancer, the more likely you are to be cured of breast cancer and be able to get on with your life. There were already micrometastases in my lymph nodes when I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 26. Had I not been in the habit of checking my boobs, there’s a strong chance that the cancer would have made it’s home elsewhere in my body - making it treatable, but not curable, and meaning I may not be in the position I am today, happy and healthy, and encouraging you to start this healthy habit of a lifetime.

If you think you’re likely to forget, CoppaFeel! can remind you. Sign up to our text reminder service for a monthly nudge to coppafeel, and head to coppafeel.org for any other questions you have - or feel free to ask me below!

Signs_And_Symptoms_PR_Graphic.jpg

President's Club Member
Superstar
In response to alicemaypurkiss

Re: A Resolution That Could Save Your Life

A great resolution @alicemaypurkiss, & a good reminder for everyone.

Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Remember that breast cancer is not confined to women, so everyone should check themselves regularly.

Silver President's Club member.
Coordinator
Superstar
In response to alicemaypurkiss

Re: A Resolution That Could Save Your Life

Great resolution and a great cause

Buy at www.avon.uk.com/store/mymakeup
FREE DELIVERY with orders over £30
Join me at http://prp.uk.avon.com/laura
Read my blog at www.mymakeup2016.blog