MEMBERS

Activity
Top Liked Authors
Coordinator
Superstar

Anyone thinking of becoming a rep should first know the tax implications.

Thinking of becoming a rep? Signing up to become an Independent Avon Representative and/or an Independent Avon Sales Leader is signing up to a self-employed business.

Having signed, in order to comply with the law, you must register yourself with HMRC (formerly the Inland Revenue). You can do this online at https://www.gov.uk/working-for-yourself/what-you-need-to-do or on the phone by ringing your local HMRC office.

You must also notify the offices of any income based benefits that you are receiving.

Failure to register with HMRC and/or benefits offices can result in you being fined.

Contrary to what some people believe, Avon is not 'a cash in hand job' or 'a bit of pocket money'. The earnings from it are just that, earnings, which have to be declared for tax and benefits purposes. xx

PC rep for 21 years, SL for 10
WARNING: replies may contain facts you've not been given
Representative
Occasional Contributor
In response to goddessfatima

Re: Anyone thinking of becoming a rep should first know the tax implications.

i am registering as self employed, what do i put for the answer of this question  - what sort of self employment work do you do?

Coordinator
Superstar
In response to lenad30

Direct selling, @lenad30. You register as a sole trader, giving your own name and your own address as your business and business premises. xx

Representative
Occasional Contributor

also how do i register for another job 

Coordinator
Superstar
In response to lenad30

Not sure I understand the question, @lenad30

Do you mean another self employed job? If so, you don't need to....if you are registered as self employed then that registration covers ALL earnings from self employment.

If you mean a job as in an employment, then your employer will do that and provide you with a P60, the details of which you will enter onto your self assessment form under the 'employed earnings' section. xx

Representative
Contributor

I was not told this by the person who recruited me! I only earn about £20 a week, and spend most of that on products. I have had no contact with the person who recruited me at all!
Coordinator
Superstar
In response to lettysmith21

She should have told you, @lettysmith21. When you signed up for Avon you were signing up for a self employed business. If you are already earning and pay tax then your Avon profits will need to be taxed. Even if you have no other income then you are still self employed, and have to register, no matter how much you 'only' earn, I'm afraid. Did the person who signed you up not give you any training or insight on how to operate your business. Did she tell you about the benefit offices? xx

Representative
New Contributor

Hi,

I have a similar problem too. I've tried to register online but the link won't work for me and when I phoned them up no-one there could help me either. What was the outcome of you working for a little while if you don't mind me asking? Because I'm still waiting to register I'm worried i'll get fined even though I've tried a few times.

Many thanks

Coordinator
Superstar
In response to louisecourcha

This link, @louisecourcha? https://www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-assessment-tax-return/register-if-youre-self-employed

Representative
New Contributor

I've finally managed to sort it shortly after posting Smiley Happy Thank you though and yeah the website has been down everytime I tried.

Representative
Occasional Contributor
In response to rosie25

If you email Avon they will be able to give you your start date.

New Contributor

please I love avon.but just mentor. thank u
Occasional Visitor
In response to godwin33

Hi.  If you're looking at taxable earnings, presumably the money you spend buying brocures etc. would be deducted from your profit? 

If you're a Sales Leader and you get £400 commission, but you've spent £100 buying brochures for new sign-ups, presumably only £300 would be taxable?

Coordinator
Superstar
In response to phillipae

Your 'profit' would be your earnings minus expenses. xx

Representative
Occasional Contributor

hello..can someone tell me witch money we are suppose to put from avon in self employment?the money that is for the whole bill with out ower discount or only the money we earn?realy confused...and if we diclare the whole bill,how we complet the form to reach what we actually earn?hope i made my self clear...thank youuu

Coordinator
Superstar
In response to ionutnone

@ionutnone You need only declare your profit. Your profit is the difference between the price you pay for the goods and the price you sell them for....minus the amounts you spend on expenses. So deduct the amounts you spend on brochures, bags, samples, demos etc. Have you registered with HMRC yet? xx

Representative
Occasional Contributor

Yes i am a self employed...but as others I didn't know that I need to do separate then my original self employment ,Avon self employment form.sow I need to put for example 50£ every 3weeks my comission x18 campaigns and after start to put expenses and the rest....
Representative
New Contributor

Can someone sign my friend up please
Community Editor
In response to chrissywebb

Hi @chrissywebb

Sorry, we don't allow recruiting on Avon Beauty Connects, your friend will need to go to the Become a Representative page and type in her details and an Area Manager or Sales Leader will be in touch Smiley Happy

Hope that helps, 

Leigh x

Representative
Occasional Contributor

I have a similar question to henri1. I have done Avon for a couple of months. I was told by the area manager not to worry about setting up with HMRC until I knew if it was working for me. Now I’ve read this thread I am wondering what I should do in terms of registering... is there any advice please? Goddessfatima are you still active on here as I know it’s an old post. Thank you x
Coordinator
Superstar
In response to katnelson

Still here, @katnelson. Two months in, you're fine, best advice is to get registered asap. And shame on your AM for telling you that. You became self-employed the day you opened your account. Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that it 'isn't working for you'; you've still been self employed for two months  and should have been registered during that time.

Go on to HMRC's website and sign yourself up. If you need further help, hop over to the Representative Talk board and the thread 'You MUST register.....'; this board is open to the public. Including HMRC, by the way.  xx