MEMBERS

Activity
Top Liked Authors
Coordinator
Superstar

Anyone thinking of becoming a rep should first know the tax implications.

Thinking of becoming a rep? Signing up to become an Independent Avon Representative and/or an Independent Avon Sales Leader is signing up to a self-employed business.

Having signed, in order to comply with the law, you must register yourself with HMRC (formerly the Inland Revenue). You can do this online at https://www.gov.uk/working-for-yourself/what-you-need-to-do or on the phone by ringing your local HMRC office.

You must also notify the offices of any income based benefits that you are receiving.

Failure to register with HMRC and/or benefits offices can result in you being fined.

Contrary to what some people believe, Avon is not 'a cash in hand job' or 'a bit of pocket money'. The earnings from it are just that, earnings, which have to be declared for tax and benefits purposes. xx

PC rep for 21 years, SL for 10
WARNING: replies may contain facts you've not been given
President's Club Member
Occasional Contributor
In response to laurajayne

Re: Anyone thinking of becoming a rep should first know the tax implications.

[ Edited ]

You also need to fill out a tax form every year, if not you have to pay a penalty.

i have been doing Avon as my only occupation for 17 years, (not receiving any benefits) even though I am well below the tax level, I still get a form every year fill in and show what I have earned.

Also call tax office self assessment for advice, they are extremely helpful, don’t be afraid the form is very simple especially if this is your only income.

Coordinator
Superstar
In response to kelly061

@kelly061. Unfortunately, it is a common misconception that you are 'only ordering for yourself'. You are 'only ordering for one customer' (Kelly). You are running a self employed business (not 'buying from a catalogue') and whether you sell to one customer or a thousand (wouldn't THAT be nice!) you are still running a business. And, before your, apparently, ineffectual SL tells you you are a 'personal shopper' or a 'VIP customer'....there is no such thing, I'm afraid. xx

President's Club Member
Occasional Contributor
In response to ionutnone

Your profit is what you declare, very simple on each invoice it states what you have made, minus bags and brochures.

Coordinator
Superstar
In response to goddessfatima

Smiley Happy

Representative
Occasional Visitor

I got signed up in April this year and I asked the lady that set me up if I have to declare myself as self - employed or if Avon do it and she said neither!?
How do I go about declaring it?
Coordinator
Superstar
In response to mitchell2345

@mitchell2345 The 'lady that set you up' (sales leader? area manager?) is a disgrace and she has misled you. Ask her why. Does she 'not know'? (In which case, enlighten her, before she gets someone else into trouble) or did she think telling you would put you off signing up and she'd miss out on her bonus? Seriously, ask her why! Not telling you could have cost you dearly. Not her, YOU.

In the meantime, hop over to the HMRC thread on the rep's board. (This board, 'Welcome', is open to the public.)

https://www.avonbeautyconnects.co.uk/t5/Representative-Talk/You-MUST-register-with-HMRC-for-tax-purp...

xx

Coordinator
Superstar

Smiley Very Happy